BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL WOMEN’S FOUNDATION
Educational scholarships 2019-2020
The Washington State Business and Professional Women (WSBPWF) Foundation provides scholarships for women attending fully accredited schools of higher education.
Scholarships available for the 2019-2020 academic year:
A completed application and documents must be submitted for each scholarship category you are applying for:
Eligibility Criteria for all applicants:
- Woman student and a citizen of the United States of America.
- A resident of Washington State for one or more years, except applicant for Military scholarship.
- Be entering or continuing a curriculum at an accredited school in the field of study that will advance her career goals.
- Be in need of financial assistance.
- Have demonstrated a high scholastic ability.
- Complete and submit the application and all required materials by deadline date.
Mature Woman Educational Scholarship ($1,000.00)
Scholarships offered to women age 30+ (by March 15) for retraining or continuing education.
Single Parent Scholarship ($1,000.00)
Offered to a single woman, any age, planning to return to school or to continue her education beyond the high school level. She must have one or more dependent children, under 18 years of age, living at home.
BPW/WA Past President Memorial Scholarship ($1,000.00)
Awarded to a woman age 30+ (by March 15) in memory of one or more past presidents of Washington State Business and Professional Women.
Lulu Fairbanks Memorial Scholarship ($500.00)
A scholarship offered to a woman (any age) who plans a career in journalism, communications or related career, in memory of the first Washington State BPW President, Lulu Fairbanks.
BPW/WA Member Scholarship (up to $1,000.00)
Awarded to a current member of Washington State Business and Professional Women who is in need of funds to attend an educational program to enhance career or potential advancement opportunity.
DESIGNATED FUNDS SCHOLARSHIPS
(Funds donated by a local organization, a business or an individual, most with additional criteria.)
SouthWest Seattle BPW (Eileen Henry Memorial Scholarship ($500.00)
Offered to a mature woman in South King County wishing to continue her higher education.
Margaret Way Scholarship $500.00)
Offered to a woman, age 30+, living and planning to attend an accredited school in Greater Puget Sound area. No restrictions on major of study. Preference will be given to returning students.
Diane Lam Minority Woman Veteran Scholarship ($1,000.00)
Offered to a minority woman veteran re-entering school for skills to land or get back to the job market. Proof of minority and veteran status required.
Business and Professional Women (BPW/WA) Woman Military Scholarship $500.00)
Offered to a female member of the Armed Forces or Honorably Discharged Veteran, 18 years of age or older, attending any accredited school in the State of Washington. No restrictions on major of study. Proof of military status (current or discharge) required.
Emerald City BPW Foundation Scholarship ($1,000.00)
Offered to a woman living in the Greater Puget Sound area (King, Kitsap, Pierce or Snohomish Counties) with the following criteria: She will be entering, or continuing, a curriculum at an accredited school, in the field of study that will advance her career goals; be in need of assistance; have demonstrated a high scholastic ability.
Patrick Healy and Bobbie Healy Scholarship ($1,000.00)
A scholarship offered to a woman, living and planning to attend an accredited school in the State of Washington, for a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) advanced degree (Masters or Doctorate) whose goal is to work in the research field of either cancer or heart disease.
Joyce Kelly Memorial Scholarship ($1,000.00)
A scholarship offered to a woman, aged 30+, living in Puget Sound area (Snohomish, King, Pierce, Kitsap and Island Counties) and planning to attend an accredited school in Washington in a course of study of Horticulture or Business Administration.
1. All ORIGINAL hardcopy completed applications, with attachments, shall be sent to the Washington State Business and Professional Women’s Foundation (WSBPWF) Scholarship Committee at:
Washington State BPW Foundation ATTN: Scholarship Committee
860 Southwest 143rd Street Seattle WA 98166
2. All applications must be DELIVERED by the deadline in number 4 (emailed applications will not be accepted).
3. All submitted applications are treated with confidentiality and become the property of the Washington State Business and Professional Women’s Foundation. With the exception of the recipient applications, which become part of the annual Foundation records, all others are destroyed after the scholarship year.
4. DEADLINE: Applications, with required attachments, will not be accepted if they have a postmark after June 10, 2019, and are received after June 15, 2019.
NOTE: Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
5. The WSBPWF Scholarship Committee will review all complete applications. Selection of recipients will be made in accordance with criteria established solely by the WSBPW Foundation’s appointed committee.
6. Upon selection the WSBPWF Scholarship Committee will voucher and authorize the WSBPWF Treasurer to issue the scholarship award to the named educational institution of the recipient.
7. Awarded scholarship funds will be mailed to the educational institution stated on the application.
8. Once funds are received at the named institution, recipient may expend the funds during any term (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer) within one year of the award date.
9. The recipient may draw on the funds, as needed for tuition, books, lab fees, and supplies appropriate to the course of study.
10. Successful recipients will be notified by mail.
11. Upon request, the recipient will submit a recent black and white photo to the committee for publicity purposes.
The Washington State Business and Professional Women’s Foundation Scholarship Committee reserves the right to reject any or all applications that do not meet the requirements stated herein.
WASHINGTON STATE BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL WOMEN’S FOUNDATION